| Quick Quiz |
Subtraction of decimals is very similar to subtraction of whole numbers. It is important to understand the place value of each digit, both in performing the operation and in determining which zeros are important.
Example 1: Using LAB to demonstrate 1.65 - 0.78 = 0.87
Example 2: Using place value columns, 2.006 - 0.1 = 1.906
Example 3: Placing extra zeros, 2.7 - 1.342 = 1.358
Example 4: Expert performance of 3.45 - 0.782 = 2.668
1. Subtract 137.0324 from 138.921
2. What is the difference between 99.99 and 9.999?
3. 271.65 is 19.723 more than a certain number. What is the number?
4. What number is 6.275 less than 10.137?
5. If Meg is 158.3 cm tall and Abdul is 147.9 cm tall, how much taller is Meg than Abdul?
How much change will I get if I purchase some bananas for $4.65 and
give the shopkeeper $20?
To view the quiz answers, click here.
If you would like to do some more questions, click here to go to the mixed operations quiz at the end of the division section.
University of Melbourne